Recovery Science shared a couple of qualitative studies on the experiences of MAT patients.
The first identified 7 themes:
- Patients may not be aware of treatment alternatives
- Treatment expectations and goals may differ between clinicians and patients
- Prior experiences with buprenorphine or methadone influence treatment decisions and expectations
- Accountability and structure facilitate treatment engagement for some, create barriers for others
- Desire, among some, to avoid methadone clinics or associated stigma
- Fear of continued addiction and perceived difficulty of withdrawal among people who have a goal to be drug-free
- Among patients with chronic pain, pain control is an important consideration
The second identified 4 themes:
- the loss of hope,
- trapped in OMT,
- substitution treatment is not enough, and
- stigmatization of identity.