Health Affairs has a great summary of a recent report on the opioid crisis.
It identifies “six key components to develop a system-wide community solution.”
- Recognize That Everyone In Your Community Has A Role To Play
- Work Together
- Work On Multiple Parts Of The System Simultaneously
- Be Unambiguous About The Risks Of Prescription Opioids
- Re-Train The Medical Community
- Recognize That Addiction Is A Chronic Disease, And Treat It Accordingly
Read the article for details.
The most striking thing is a table that identifies objectives, actions and actors. Nothing groundbreaking, but it does s really nice job of pulling together the multiple needs and systems in one place.