Most clients entering a treatment environment/ relationship do so with fear and ambivalence. The fear is fear of an alien environment, the feeling of vulnerability and lack of control, and the suspicion that they are in a place where they will not be understood and accepted… The earliest moments in the initiation of the treatment relationship must communicate the following to the client:
- You are in the right place.
- You are with others like yourself.
- We understand you and the world you come from.
- We accept who you are and who you can become.
- This is a place where magic (change) can happen.
From: Pathways from the Culture of Addiction to the Culture of Recovery by William L. White